little luna love is sick with a stomach virus (again). i swear this girl will eat anything she sees. today i stayed home to take care of her and let her out whenever she needed it.
while i totally feel bad for her, i gotta admit- staying at home with a sick (fur) kid is pretty nice. (minus having to get up every few hours last night and taking her out every half hour today)
i actually got some things done! i cleaned our entire downstairs, cleaned the bathrooms, organized the kitchen, swept the floor and got rid of a bunch of junk that had been laying around. we’ve been so busy around here and just haven’t had time to clean up. it was feeling pretty chaotic. but oh man- such an amazing feeling when the house is clean and orderly.
i was even able to whip up some butternut squash soup while cleaning. the recipe is super simple. you basically throw everything in the oven to roast and blend the ingredients.
- • one large butternut squash, quartered and seeds removed
- • one head of garlic, top sliced off
- • one small onion, peeled and halved
- • 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth to keep this vegetarian)
- • ½ cup cream
- • olive oil
- • sour cream, toasted pumpkin seeds and parsley to garnish
- heat oven to 425 degrees
- wrap garlic in foil, leaving the top open for steam to vent
- drizzle garlic with olive oil, season with salt and pepper
- do the same for the onion
- place butternut squash on a large sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper
- on the same sheet pan place garlic and onion foil packets
- roast for 60-80 mins (or until the squash is fork tender)
- once squash is ready, scoop the flesh of the squash into a large pot
- add the roast garlic, onion, broth, salt and pepper
- slowly heat ingredients together (about 15 minutes)
- turn off heat and add cream
- blend soup with an immersion blender (regular blender is fine)
- garnish with sour cream, toasted pumpkin seeds and parsley