happy monday! how was your weekend? i think i spent most of my time either on the couch writing up recipes or in the kitchen. i’m seriously considering setting up a cot in there.
i feel like i go through spurts of food inspiration. some days i have no inspiration at all and other days i never leave the kitchen. the last few days were all day kitchen days. as soon as the recipe was put down on paper, i couldn’t get to the grocery store faster so i could start cooking. sounds chaotic- and well, it looked chaotic…but in it’s own weird way totally zen for me.
most of the dishes tested this past weekend were savory, so i thought i’d end it on the sweet note.
check out these lemon cookies! i top them with a green tea frosting that is absolutely umptious. perfectly sweet and matcha-ey.
- for the cookies:
- ¾ cup butter
- ¾ cup superfine sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 2¾ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon zest (zest from about 2 lemons)
- for the matcha green tea frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar (or superfine sugar)
- 1 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- combine butter and sugar in a bowl or stand-mixer
- place eggs, almond extract and vanilla bean in a small bowl
- combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl
- take the butter and sugar and with a hand blender or stand-up mixer cream the ingredients until light and fluffy
- on a low speed, add the wet ingredients and mix until combined
- slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until combine
- place the dough on a floured surface and use your hands to shape the dough into a disc
- the dough should be pretty soft at this point
- place the dough in some plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour
- set the oven to 350 about 15 minutes before the dough is ready
- once chilled place the dough onto a floured surface
- roll the dough out to about ⅙-1/4 inches thick
- cut out circles (i don't have a cookie cutter so i used a wine glass)
- place the cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- bake for about 12 minutes or until the cookies are barely browned
- remove and cool for 15 minutes
- for the frosting:
- in a mixer combine the sugar, cream cheese, butter and matcha
- beat the frosting until light and fluffy (about 5-7 minutes)
- frost each cookie with about 1 tbsp of frosting. these will keep in the fridge for about 5 days. (if they will last that long!)
UPDATE: this frosting is super soft, so you may want to wait to frost until right before consuming.