i’d like to pretend that i didn’t just eat all this bacon in one sitting. by myself. alone.
but i’d be lying.
and i am a horrible liar.
in my defense i didn’t actually cook a whole pound of bacon.
7 slices in one sitting is not a lot of bacon…right?
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and sliced
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 2 tbsp jalapeno maple syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- in a small pot combine the maple syrup and sliced jalapeno
- over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil
- boil for about 2-3 minutes
- remove the mixture from the heat and let the sliced jalapeno "steep" for about 15 minutes
- heat oven to 375 degrees
- in a mixing bowl combine 2 tbsp of the jalapeno infused maple syrup and brown sugar
- i par cook the bacon to remove excess bacon fat (this is especially helpful to prevent the oil from smoking in the oven or catching fire. also helpful if you have a very sensitive fire alarm.)
- you can do this two ways: microwave method- place bacon strips on a large plate and cover with several paper towels. microwave for about 1-2 minutes. (you will need to do this in batches) stovetop method: in a large pan, heat bacon strips over medium heat. let the fat render out for about 3-4 minutes. when you remove the bacon from the pan, they should still look uncooked.
- allow the bacon to cool to room temperature (about 5 minutes)
- once cool enough to handle, shmear the bacon strips with the brown sugar and maple mixture
- take a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper
- place a cooling rack on top of the baking sheet
- place the strips on the cooling rack
- bake for 30 minutes or until browned (check every 10 mins to prevent burning)