oh heyyyy fall.
can i be honest for like two seconds? fall is not my favorite season. and if you live in the pacific northwest you kind of know what i’m saying here. yeah the leaves are pretty- but only for about a week. they fall and then they get mucky and slippery. and don’t get me wrong- there are a handful of beautiful days. but for the most part it gets a little dreary. i come home to darkness and it’s only 6 pm. (let’s just say i’m more of a summer gal) ps. btw that’s my back yard.
but fall food? oh heyyyy fall food. you are absolutely gorgeous.
one of my favorite things about fall harvest is the hearty produce. the flavors are rich and vibrant without being overly heavy. in this salad i combine roasted delicata squash, pomegranate seeds, kale, pepitas and cotija cheese. pomegranate chipotle dressing is then drizzled right on top. oh and let’s not forget about bacon. we mustn’t forget the bacon.
this recipe is super versatile. dried cranberries or cherries would be delicious. or throw in some chopped pear and apple. yum!
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced (2 if you like it spicy)
- 1 tbsp champagne vinegar (any vinegar works here)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp brown mustard
- 1 bunch massaged kale (chop kale, drizzle with salt and oil and massage until soft)
- 5 slices roasted delicata squash (see recipe link in post)
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds/arils
- 1 tbsp pepitas
- 3 pieces of bacon, crumbled
- 2 tbsp cotija cheese crumbled
- combine ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- reserve 4 tbsp for salad and refrigerate the remainder
- to plate the salad start with a handful of the massaged kale and top with delicata squash, pomegranate arils, pepitas, bacon and cotija.
- drizzle the spicy chipotle pomegranate dressing on top